Thursday 16 October 2008

BY HAND, BY PEOPLE TREE



A couple of weeks ago, our amiable post room guy dropped a copy of this book on my desk without a word of explanation. I put it in my bag and forgot about it until later that evening when I came across it looking for my keys.

By Hand written by People Tree founder Safia Minney (which you can
buy here for just £5) states the case for supporting ethical fashion and organic handwoven cotton. With beautiful photography and interviews with garment workers, farmers and jewellery makers in Africa and Asia, it is truly an inspiring read. I can’t honestly say that I am going to abandon the high street completely for Fairtrade products but it certainly made me stop and think (as well as leaving me with an unhealthy obsession with the beautiful jewellery by Sam Ubhi).

Read it, the book explains itself better than I ever could and it may just change the way you think about fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment